There should probably be a set of standard functions that synthesize lines
and points with quads, similar to the automatic quad-to-two-triangles
routines.

The matrox glx driver currently handles colored, depth buffered, and
blended lines, but can't handle wide lines or textured lines directly.

To fix that, we will need to build two triangles for each line and use the
full featured triangle path.  Obviously not high performance, but better
than syncing with the hardware to do software fallback.

We currently program a trapazoid directly for points, but pure triangle
engine hardware would also need to do those as two tris.

Does the 3dfx driver currently do this?  This should be generally usefull
functionality.

Related to that, but needing a bit more work, would be synthesizing pixel
and bitmap operations by uploading into a driver work texture, then using
texture mapped triangles to image.

It would be nice for driver implementation to be able to just do textured
triangles and have all the other primitives synthesized automatically until
someone cares enough to pick out the functionality that can be more
directly accelerated.

John Carmack