Sounds good to me.

Keith

----- Original Message ----
From: Brian Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: MESA-Devel <mesa3d-dev@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 6:08:26 PM
Subject: Re: [Mesa3d-dev] git commit messages

Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> Keith Whitwell wrote:
>> It's a lot to ask, and I'm not able to do the work myself (too busy
>> generating stealth changes above the magic 40k moderator threshold...),
>> but is anyone willing/able to take this on?
>
> The Linux kernel uses a script that splits each commit into a separate
> mail. That ensures each diff+changelog will be at the top of a message.
> If you want their script, I'm sure any number of people could get it for
> you. However, it doesn't solve the issue with a single huge commit -- if
> that's an issue at all.

I liked the old cvs commit messages which had the commit log message and
a URL pointing to the changes via the cvs web interface.

For git, how about we remove the diff info from the commit messages and
include this URL which lists the most-recent check-ins:

http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=mesa/mesa.git;a=summary

With a little more work, it might be possible to include a URL pointing
to the specific commitdiff.

I might take a quick look into this...

-Brian