On Dec 9, 2007 6:42 AM, José Fonseca <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 17:48:59 -0800, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> > On Dec 8, 2007 12:48 PM, Alex Neundorf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> > Maybe the most important is that autoconf is really mature, well
> > understood and supports tons of platforms. People will know how to work
> > with it because it's used everywhere.
>
> By "tons of platforms" you mean tons of Unix variants. AFAIK, autotools
> still require shell scripts. Mesa is built on more than those. No, I
> don't think autoconf is even remotely close to being called cross-
> platform.

When I look into mesa/configs, all I see is config files for a ton of
Unix variants anyway. Half of them are to cover the combinatorial
explosion of Linux variants: different compilers, static/dynamic,
debug/no-debug, etc.  It's insane.  It's nice that mesa is cross
platform, but I don't see those non-shell capable platforms in
mesa/configs.

One of our (Red Hat) biggest time sinks when rebasing to a new mesa
release is going through the bunch of patches we have to the mesa
config files and making sure they apply and figure out where in the
hierarchy of config files the DRI_LIBDIR or similar variable is hidden
in this release.  Dan's proposal to just use autoconf *is* very
minimal and solves this problem in a nice standardized way.  And
support for platforms that doesn't like shell scripts can coexists
with the autoconf config file in the same way that the 100 different
unix configs currently coexist.

From looking through the patches, it looks like a good solution.  A few commets:

 - it would be nice if we didn't have to keep config.guess, config.sub
and install-sh in git, but I guess there is no good way of
autogenerating these when no using automake.

 - I think ./configure should create the configs/current link when
it's run so the normal ./configure; make sequence works

cheers,
Kristian