Ben Skeggs wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-12-30 at 18:45 +0100, Thomas Hellstrom wrote:
>
>> Ben,
>>
> Hey Thomas,
>

>> Your commit 1336989ec breaks front buffer rendering on Xserver < 1.7.
>>
>> Shouldn't the change that silently added a fake front attachment have
>> been accompanied by a bump in SERVER_DRI2_MINOR_VERSION to signal a new
>> capability? Then we could have inserted some conditional code...
>>
>> The way tfp is handled in the xorg state tracker is that when it detects
>> a fake front request on a pixmap it actually hands it the real front,
>> which makes the code work also on older servers.
>>
> I can't recall the exact details at the moment, but from discussion with
> a couple of people the xorg state tracker is doing the wrong thing.  The
> client should never get handed the real front buffer in DRI2, all
> requests for front should hand a fake front back.  If you don't look at
> it beforehand I'll try and remember to look at it again when I get back
> into the office on the 4th.
>
> The commit in question fixed gallium drivers for Nouveau (and r300 would
> have been effected too, but I don't have the hardware to test) and
> EXT_tfp.  From the looks of it any DDX that wasn't the xorg state
> tracker would have been broken.
>
> Ben.

Could you detail a bit how this broke EXT_tfp, since for tfp it seems
the fake front that the dri state-tracker requests is never used?

Since the implementation of dri2 seems to vary slightly I think, in the
future we should have the xorg state tracker as a reference peer for the
dri state tracker, and have that always functioning correctly.

/Thomas