On Mon, 2010-01-11 at 12:42 -0800, Luca Barbieri wrote:
> > But for Mesa core and shared Gallium code, we target portability and
> > that means pretty strict C90...
>
> Well, then maybe -std=c99 should be removed from the global config and
> put in driver Makefiles.

Yes, that's a good idea.

> Anyway, it's not obvious that anyone is using a non-C99 compiler to
> compile Mesa, and they could probably switch to gcc if they are.

I wish that was that simple.

The only mainstream compiler I know that doesn't support C99 is MSVC. My
hunch is that facilitating developers to write cross-platform code is
not really a high priority...

I personally use MinGW cross-compiler for most of my windows
development, but unfortunately MinGW toolchain lacks some polish and
integration features that make it unacceptable for windows driver
development. There are often MinGW specific bugs in gcc, and because MS
doesn't publish any info concerning their debugging information format
there is no integration with most Windows development/debugging tools:
in particular if a crash happens and the stack trace crosses both mingw
modules and msvc modules then you're pretty much screwed, as neither MS
debugger or gdb will handle it... mingw's gdb port also behaves
erratically some times.

So this means we really can't ignore MSVC.

Jose