On Wed, 2010-01-27 at 00:59 -0800, Keith Whitwell wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 16:26 -0800, Brian Paul wrote:
> > Stephane Marchesin wrote:

> > > More bureaucracy. Just what we need in our understaffed world.
> >
> > I'm not too crazy about this either.  We can barely keep up with the
> > patches submitted for review now.  I certainly don't have time to
> > review everything that comes along and very few other people are
> > reviewing/testing/committing patches either.
> >
> > My plate is already full.
>
> One thing worth noting is how well the branch->master merges have been
> working.  We've *never* managed to put so many fixes into the stable
> branch and successfully propagate them to master.  Think of the hundreds
> of commits Vinson has made fixing errors from static analysis.
>
> The system has worked better than anything else before, but is now
> starting to reach its limits.  That seems to me to call for a minor
> adjustment rather than a total overhaul.

Yes. I agree.

Indeed reviews only work if there are enough reviewers, and the review
traffic is pretty overwhelming as it is. I should have thought of that
before mentioning it.

BTW, Brian thanks for all the hard work you've been doing on taking
patches. I should and will try to do more on this subject.

> Maybe the approach should be to minimise now the amount of stuff going
> into the stable branch - ask Vinson to do his work on master now, for
> instance, and let the stable branch only take fixes for user-visible
> bugs, which are hopefully smaller in volume.

Yes, that's probably a good compromise.

Jose