This isn't actually true any more. See issue (9) of
ARB_framebuffer_object which defines luminance, luminance_alpha and
intensity as renderable.
(I'm not quite sure how color assignment is done, readpixels and the
like would define L = R + G + B, but I think it will follow the table
from texture image specification instead, hence L = R, I = R).
You are quite right though this is a recent addition, and in fact for
instance i965 can't render to this neither (it can render to red or
alpha formats, but none of the l/i formats) directly, neither can r300
(without shader hacking).

Roland