Hi Xavier,

On Sun, 2010-02-21 at 11:29 -0800, Xavier Chantry wrote:
> Since commit c6509f89 , scons dri=no drivers=softpipe (or llvmpipe) no
> longer works.
> It does show a warning at the beginning :
> warning: trace pipe driver disabled: skipping build of xlib libGL.so
>
> But it does not stop there, instead it goes on and build almost
> everything, It's hard to see and not very intuitive.
>
> Before the above command worked because there was no check for trace,
> trace was always put by default to the driver list, and the current
> SConscript still does that :
> line 39 : drivers = [trace]
>
> I have two suggestions that are not exclusive, and either of them
> would make me happy :
> 1) Replace all warning by error , and Return() by Exit()

This is is a double edge source.

I'd like to move away from having to specify everything in command line
and let plain scons without options "just work".

The only way I see to achieve that goal is to have stacketrackers=all
drivers=all winsys=all by default, and fail gracefully.

> 2) remove the check for trace, it's already added by default anyway

If you pass drivers=softpipe then trace is *not* built.

But there is another thing that we can do: take out trace from the scons
options and always built it, as there are so many state trackers and
winsys that rely on it for debug building, and trace can really build
anywhere and is thin so there's no point is making it an option.

> A side question :
> line 21 : if not set(('softpipe', 'llvmpipe',
> 'trace')).intersection(env['drivers']):
>     print 'warning: no supported pipe driver: skipping build of xlib libGL.so'
>     Return()
>
> But below in the script (line 41-58), the drivers used are softpipe ,
> llvmpipe and cell.
> Should trace be replaced by cell in the above check ?

Yes, I think so.

Jose