On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 1:01 AM, Jose Fonseca <jfons...@vmware.com> wrote:
> Indeed, this problems happen with Windows q3arena demo only. Ioquake3, and I
> believe that the latest windows full quake3 binary too, correctly handles the
> full extensions list.
>
> However I suspect that quake2 and earliy releases of quake3 arena and quake3
> arena demo suffer from limitation.
>
> The most worrysome thing here is not quake3 by itself, but the thought that
> other GL apps  out there may too truncate the GL extension string.

Then sorry for the noise, maybe the commit could have made it a bit clearer :)

It does seem that latest version of quake 3 (and ioquake3) use a large
enough buffer of 8192.
But earlier versions of q3 might have used something as short as 512.
Unfortunately, I could not find when exactly it was fixed.

I somehow forgot the obvious fact that there are 20 or more q3 based
proprietary games
(thanks to Patrice Mandin for pointing that out)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Tech_3#Uses_of_the_engine

We would need to test them all in their latest version to know which
ones are still affected and were not fixed. I could not find any
report / information about that either.

Patrice also pointed me to the workaround that nvidia driver provides itself :
http://us.download.nvidia.com/freebsd/190.42/README/chapter-09.html