On Tuesday 30 March 2010 12:52:54 Luca Barbieri wrote:
> > There are several deep challenges in making TGSI <-> LLVM IR translation
> > lossless -- I'm sure we'll get around to overcome them -- but I don't
> > think that using LLVM is a requirement for this module. Having a shared
> > IR for simple TGSI optimization module would go a long way by itself.
>
> What are these challenges?

Besides what Brian just pointed out, it's also worth noting that the one
problem that everyone dreads is creating LLVM code-generator for TGSI.
Everyone seems to agree that it's a darn complicated task with a somewhat
undefined scope. It's obviously something that will be mandatory for OpenCL,
but I doubt anyone will touch it before it's an absolute must.