Dear mailing list

In my company we are seriously considering going with Yocto project  and
meta-ros
But I got stuck in my effort to make the ROS build .
And I'm sure some of you can spot my problem with a glance.

My yocto / meta-ros experience is not strong enough,  so I hope to get some
pointers

I Started my venture by following the yocto getting started guide,
I had to add a layer to pull in a custom defconfig for kernel compilation -
i called it meta-fpe, it only contains a linux-yocto_4.1.bbappend file
and succeeded in building an core-image-minimal , that can boot on my
target: *genericx86*

Then - according to the http://wiki.ros.org/Installation/OpenEmbedded,  I
added the ros layers - so my BBLAYERS now looks like this

BBLAYERS ?= " \
   /home/lars/poky/meta \
   /home/lars/poky/meta-yocto \
   /home/lars/poky/meta-yocto-bsp \
   /home/lars/poky/meta-ros \
    /home/lars/poky/meta-openembedded/meta-oe \
   /home/lars/poky/meta-openembedded/meta-python \
   /home/lars/poky/meta-openembedded/meta-multimedia \
   /home/lars/poky/meta-fpe \
"

My meta-fpe layer only 'bbappends' the  defconfig file to tweak the kernel
to my target - I intend to continue expanding this layer with my own
recipes.
I plan to build  a 'robovator-image.bb' recipe that pulls from the
packagegroup-ros-comm just like packagegroup-ros-world does,

when I  bitbake core-image-ros-roscore it works like a dream I get a nice
little image -  I can boot with basic ROS stuf.

Then I added an image recipe to the meta-fpe layer that use same approach
as core-image-ros-world, but I get strange errors (se below)

snip from meta-fpe/recipes-core/images/robovator-image.bb

inherit core-image
IMAGE_FSTYPES = "tar.bz2 cpio"

IMAGE_INSTALL += " \
    packagegroup-robovator-basic \
"

snip from meta-fpe/recipes-core/packagegroups/packagegroup-robovator-basic.
bb

inherit packagegroup

PACKAGES = "${PN}"

RDEPENDS_${PN} = "\
    packagegroup-ros-comm \
    "

to isolate it  I  try to  bitbake *core-image-ros-world, but I * get the
same errors that I can't decipher and the mentioned log files doesn't help
me much

*ERROR: QA Issue: python-imaging: The compile log indicates that host
include and/or library paths were used.*
*         Please check the log
'/home/lars/poky/build/tmp/work/core2-32-poky-linux/python-imaging/1.1.7-r5/temp/log.do_compile'

for more information. [compile-host-path]*
*ERROR: QA run found fatal errors. Please consider fixing them.*
*ERROR: Function failed: do_package_qa*
*ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in:
/home/lars/poky/build/tmp/work/core2-32-poky-linux/python-imaging/1.1.7-r5/temp/log.do_package_qa.25846*
*ERROR: Task 5690
(/home/lars/poky/meta/recipes-devtools/python/python-imaging_1.1.7.bb,
do_package_qa) failed with exit code '1'*

It's obviously not a meta-ros error, but then again the latest pull request
#373 mentions exactly a python update.
I suspect I have some conflicts  in my BBLAYER - but I don't know ??

any help is appreciated
kind regards
-Lars Larsen

F.P Engineering, Denmark