I finally got it running.
I had painted my self in to a corner, so I started over from scratch, and
now my layer can build a bootable image based on  packagegroup-ros-comm

but please forgive a ROS/bitbake novice - still one thing I don't
understand though:

I made a little test ROS package ( based on beginner_tutorial  ) I pushed
it to a git repository.

It builds fine and is deployed to the target, but if I make a change and
push that to the git repo, this change is not reflected on target, how do I
 force bitbake to checkout  the head, and rebuild my package ?
 - I thought *bitbake -c clean recipe && bitbake recipe * would do the
trick.

BR
/Lars