On Fri, Jan 20, 2023 at 05:24:37PM -0600, Randolph Sapp via
lists.yoctoproject.org wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 20 2023 at 05:11:20 PM -0500, Denys Dmytriyenko
> <de...@denix.org> wrote:
> >Well, there are pros and cons to both approaches. And I would be
> >more inclined
> >to agree with you that it is necessary to copy over the entire
> >Mesa recipes,
> >if you were trying to apply patches on top of the upstream
> >version. But, you
> >are completely changing SRC_URI and SRCREV anyway to point to your
> >own tree,
> >so it doesn't matter very much what underlying version of the
> >recipe you start
> >with. I do believe it would just work for the master with 22.2.3
> >version.
> >Sure, recipes sometimes change significantly and break your
> >bbappend, but
> >that's when it will be the time to consider carrying the full set
> >of older
> >version, sometime in the future.
> >
> >As an example, we've been carrying bbappends in meta-ti for
> >upstream optee and
> >trunsted-firmware-a recipes from meta-arm - sometimes we fall
> >behind and stick
> >to an older version, but sometimes we update to a newer version
> >earlier than
> >upstream. That's been working for several years and quite
> >successful for the
> >most part...
> >
> >On the other side of the spectrum, there's ltp-ddt recipe that is
> >based on top
> >of the upstream ltp recipe of a specific version. It's not exactly
> >a bbappend,
> >but close enough. When upstream upgrades to a newer version, we
> >end up copying
> >the specific previous version locally side-by-side. Later, when we
> >rebase
> >ltp-ddt and catch up with the ltp version upstream, we can remove the
> >duplicate.
> >
> >In other words, *IF* we end up duplicating Mesa recipes locally,
> >I'd argue we
> >should keep them unmodified and apply any modifications through
> >bbappend. If
> >needed, you can make it version-specific, e.g.
> >mesa_22.0.%.bbappend. That way
> >in kirkstone you only need this bbappend, but in
> >langdale/mickledore you may
> >end up having a local copy of *unmodified* mesa_22.0.3.bb from
> >kirkstone along
> >with this mesa_22.0.%.bbappend on top. In other words - if you
> >refrain from
> >modifying the local duplicates of upstream files and keep them
> >intact, it
> >would be much easier to maintain long term...
>
> Well what do you recommend? Version pinning (through the copy in
> meta-ti) in addition to a bbappend, or just a version globed
> bbappend?

My recommendation would be to do a bbappend with partial version, i.e. 22.% or
22.0.%

That will be quite easy to review and test against kirkstone.

And then for master or later releases, you can add a local verbatim copy of
the required mesa recipes from upstream w/o modifications as a separate patch
and commit, still leaving bbappend around to apply required modifications on
top.

--
Denys