On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 8:52 AM, Brian Hutchinson <[email protected]>wrote:
> I have a custom TI816x board that uses a modified kernel from the TI PSP. > Kernel is of the 2.6.37 flavor. I'm trying to migrate to OE Core > environment and I'm having trouble with getting the kernel to work. > > With the toolchain in denzil (gcc version 4.6.4 20120303), kernel will at > least boot but will die with: > > Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address > 00000002 > pgd = c0004000 > [00000002] *pgd=00000000 > Internal error: Oops: 5 [#1] > > Any of the more modern toolchains (poky/meta-ti master or Linaro > (gcc-linaro-arm-linux-gnueabihf-4.8-2013.07-1_linux) are used, the kernel > won't even make a peep ... nothing is displayed. > I haven't seen the panic, but I have seen a complete silent boot hang when moving from 4.6 to 4.7 or 4.8 on my OMAP5 EVM board. The gcc-linaro toolchain worked, as did a 2012.03 sourcery toolchain, but neither the 2013.05 toolchain nor the internal built yocto toolchain from 1.5/master resulted in a successful boot. I got past that issue by cherry picking these two commits from a more recent kernel: 455bd4c430b0c0a361f38e8658a0d6cb469942b5 - ARM: 7668/1: fix memset-related crashes caused by recent GCC (4.7.2) optimizations 418df63adac56841ef6b0f1fcf435bc64d4ed177 - ARM: 7670/1: fix the memset fix See also http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.handhelds.openembedded.core/39864 Presumably you may need more than just that since you're also hitting a panic with 4.6, but it may be worth trying those as a starting point. Good luck! -- Christopher Larson clarson at kergoth dot com Founder - BitBake, OpenEmbedded, OpenZaurus Maintainer - Tslib Senior Software Engineer, Mentor Graphics
_______________________________________________ meta-ti mailing list [email protected] https://lists.yoctoproject.org/listinfo/meta-ti
