On Thu, 22 Feb 2024 at 18:19, Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 22, 2024 at 12:16 PM Fathi Boudra <fathi.bou...@linaro.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 22 Feb 2024 at 18:10, Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfi...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, no. I've already rejected similar patches in the past.
> > >
> > > The specific versioning is intentional and is going to stay. It tracks
> > > what is supported and tested in a given branch.
> > >
> > > If someone needs to deviate from what I'm marking as tested, they can
> > > carry a file in their layers.
> >
> > That's unfortunate. Let's all carry a workaround for this one-liner
> > that hasn't changed in 4 years.
> >

> I'm not sure what you are implying, but I am constantly changing the
> versioned linux-yocto .inc file to match the upstream file.
>
> Which is exactly the point of that file, not the contents within the
> file.

Let's be clear, as you mentioned, you've rejected similar patches in the past.
There's real users affected by this strict versioning and causing
unnecessary breakage.
Hence, I'm assuming that other users are or have been impacted and
carry a workaround.
Relaxing the versioned include doesn't change what you've been
testing, as it's pretty
clear it is whatever is supported by oe-core. It's unfortunate because the
linux-%.bbappend is relaxed.