meta-xilinx-tools layer will invoke DTG and build the dtb for you. You don't
need to use any translation as such.
Please see my other email regarding using the manifest and getting started.

See some info regarding meta-xilinx-tools here:
http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Using+meta-xilinx-tools+layer

> 2)      What is meta-petalinux and should I install that and do a build? Do I
> set the
> machine to "" like I did with meta-xilinx build?

Machine can never be an empty string, you need to define the board/qemu
platform you are targeting.

> 3)      Examples to add custom applications, custom shared libraries, custom
> modules
> to the build. Or is this just standard yocto stuff?

You need to write recipes to do any custom applications/libraries etc. See
documentation on devtools which might help also other recipes regarding shared
libraries.

> 4)       If I need to import a new HDF definition into my meta-xilinx build,
> how do I do
> that? I currently do "petalinux-config --get-hw-description -p" in Petalinux
> 15.4.

You provide the path to your HDF in local.conf.
See this link for information:
http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Using+meta-xilinx-tools+layer

Thanks,
Manju

This email and any attachments are intended for the sole use of the named
recipient(s) and contain(s) confidential information that may be proprietary,
privileged or copyrighted under applicable law. If you are not the intended
recipient, do not read, copy, or forward this email message or any attachments.
Delete this email message and any attachments immediately.