Basically boils down to disabling SD support in u-boot.

In OE/Yocto, run "bitbake -c menuconfig virtual/bootloader" and remove the MMC option (and whatever other options you like). Save the configuration as /tmp/defconfig, and exit. Copy the defconfig to the u-boot recipe location and add a line to the SRC_URI to apply it while building.