On 09-01-19 18:45, Philip Balister wrote:
> I've built an image for the minized from meta-xilinx-contrib successfully.
>
> Before I start semi trial and erroring to get u-boot and the kernel into
> qspi, has anyone written this process up?

I use QSPI filesystems on the Zynq almost daily, but never wrote it down...

By far the most convenient way to write the flash is to just boot Linux
from an SD card and use flashcp (or ubiformat or swupdate) to write the
QSPI flash.

If you don't have any alternative to booting, start u-boot using JTAG
(using Xilinx SDK) and then you can transfer data to memory using, for
example, USB (dfu) and then tell u-boot to write it using "sf" commands
on the commandline.

And if you don't have that, the Xilinx SDK can do the same using the
FSBL, but this is slow and harder to automate/script.

> On another note, the restore to factory instructions say you can use
> Vivado 2017.1 or later. Well, 2018.3 fails with a u-boot error about
> sfprobe 0 0 0 failing. I did install 2017.1 and confirm the procedure in
> the documents does work for that version.

"sf probe 0 0 0" is an invalid command, it requests a "0 Hz" operating
frequency. I don't know where this originated, but I've seen it a lot in
Zynq docs. It happens to work because the QSPI driver in early days did
not even set any clock at all, and later it just ran at the slowest
speed possible.

The correct command is just "sf probe" without any extra arguments.
Adding extra arguments will override the board settings and thus will
only break things.

> I realize the program_flash utility basically uses jtag to install
> u-boot into memory and runs it, maybe we should just document this
> process and avoid depending on magic tools that fail on different Vivado
> versions.

Excellent idea...

--
Mike Looijmans