Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstan...@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 10:09:15AM +0000, Eric Wong wrote:
> > I prefer to use public-inbox-watch for mirroring existing lists.
>
> I opted in favour of -mda over -watch because Maildir performance
> usually degrades linearly with the number of messages. A month of LKML
> mail is anywhere from 25,000 to 40,000 messages, and maildirs tend to
> handle that poorly due to peformance overhead of listing tens of
> thousands of files in a single folder.

Right; but with inotify, getdents/readdir overhead is not a
problem outside of initial startup (or rescanning via SIGUSR1
after config changes).

> Obviously, I can set up an archival job, but then I'd have to worry
> about messages that weren't actually imported into the archive (because
> they didn't pass spam tests, but are actually ham, for example). The
> -mda script gives me this for free, with such messages being put into
> the emergency folder for later review.

Interesting take on it, thanks for sharing.  I prefer to keep
the Maildir messages around for a bit and do my own reading off
that, for now[1].  I occasionally review syslog for spam notices
from -watch, but probably not enough :x

> > I haven't thought much about mirroring with -mda, but I suppose
> > having a per-list subscriber address and extra
> > publicinbox.<name>.address entry works, too.
>
> It works, but cloning details at the bottom of the page expose both
> addresses:
>
> public-inbox-init -V2 lkml lkml/ https://[not-live-yet].kernel.org/lkml \
>               linux-kernel@[not-live-yet].kernel.org
> linux-ker...@vger.kernel.org

Hmm, I intended the multi-address support to work as a way to
have inboxes hosted simultaneously on multiple domains, either
temporarily as a migration strategy or permanently for redundancy.

So maybe there should be a way to specify an email address as
"hidden" for that, but still let -mda use it for routing.
Any thoughts on how to do it?

I'm thinking something like replacing '@' with '!' in the
.public-inbox/config file.

[1] I've thought about a Mairix/notmuch-like tool which extracts
    messages from public-inboxes, so I won't need a redundant
    copy in the Maildir.