Thanks everyone for the great feedback regarding client-server
processing in Metacard.

Another issue relevant to constructing a database is robustness. How
robust are Metacard stacks? What sort of recovery tools are available?
For instance, if a card or stack is corrupt, are there tools available
to repair it, or at least extract the data (contents of fields
especially) and delete the offending card?

In 8 years of using Hypercard, I've only had one corrupt card which I
was unable to access. I had to copy and paste each healthy card from the
stack into a new stack to fix the problem. That's not an ideal solution,
but at least HC seems fairly robust. On the other hand, I haven't yet
used any stacks with thousands or tens of thousands of cards.

--
Steven D'Aprano

M.B. Sales Pty Ltd    Ph:  +61 3 9460-5244
A.C.N. 005-964-796    Fax: +61 3 9462-1161