I didn't get a response on this query, does anyone have any feedback
on this? ...

Currently I don't develop for Unix delivery, only Mac & Win.
However, I'd be keen to experiment and develop the facility, but only
have MachTen Unix on my Mac.  MachTen comes from the same origins as
MacOS X and will likely disappear once MacOS X is widely available.
In the meantime, MachTen is the only Unix I have and I'd wondered
whether anyone has tried running MetaCard under it?

(MachTen is based on Berkeley's Mach development and comes with the
usual Unix collection of facilities and includes the X11 window
system as well).

Cheers
Peter