andu wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, you wrote:
> > >My "feedback" would be to install LinuxPPC.  It's not nearly as easy
> > >to install as MachTen, but learning about it would be a much better
> > >use of your time.  Even if we did support MachTen (and we don't and
> > >don't plan to), there's no substitute for using the same OS that
> > >people using your applications will be using.  Nowadays that means
> > >Linux Intel or Linux PPC often enough that anyone planning to support
> > >UNIX systems should have a box running one or the other.
> > >   Regards,
> > >     Scott
> >
> > Thanks for the feedback.
> >
> > I already have MachTen installed and running which is why I asked the
> > question.  However, taking your advice, what's the best source of
> > Linux PPC and do I need a dedicated machine for it or can I run it
> > from a bootable Jaz cartridge or a special partition of an existing
> > disk for example?
>
> Best way is to get either YellowDogLinux(.com) or LinuxPPC(.com) on cdrom.
> You will have to
> 1. repartition the hard drive on your machine and use some of it for MacOS and
> some for LinuxPPC
> 2. or use a separate hard drive for LinuxPPC.
> 3.  both come with instructions on how to partition and install and both have
> mailing lists and archives for more info.
> Also check LinuxPPC.org for more info.
> I tell you, once you get it up and running you wont regret it.
>
> >  > Cheers
> > Peter
>
> andu
>
> This is the MetaCard mailing list.
> Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/metacard%40lists.best.com/

Hi,

On one side, i'm using Metacard cgi apps on both MacOS 8.6/WebStar and
Suse Linux 6.3/Apache and both are fine running.
On other side, after testing LinuxPPC 1999 Q3 (RedHat 6 based) on a
Desktop G3, i decide to wait for the final LinuxPPC Suse 6.3 to switch
some G3's to File, Printing, Web and Intranet servers.

The LinuxPPC 1999 is not realy what i expected : some fine apps are
missing (VNC binaries - a Timbuktu-like utility, YaST (basics) and Sax
(video) installers, MySQL binaries) and the installation is little hard
(formating using Fdisk, FrameBuffer as XVideo server for ATI Rage).

The best way is probably to use Suse Linux (ppc in beta) 6.3 that comes
with a very great (YaST 2) installer, that does all the stuff in
automatic mode (formating or using a preformated drive without earesing
the Dos or MacOS logical drives, videomode detection and installation of
the Mach64 accelerated X server for ATI) just like the MacOS installers
does and, probably, as easy to install as MachTen is.

Cheers,
--
Pierre Sahores