I don't have an answer, just a related fact or two:
- As soon as the script of stack A sets OR checks the state of the
<anything> of stack B, stack B is loaded into memory. Stack B's mode is
still 0 at that point (it's still closed), but it's in memory. When you do
open it, the copy that's currently in memory will open; it won't be reloaded
from disk (unless the OS has since removed it to meet a big memory demand
from somewhere else).

Bottom line: you can set stack B's properties from stack A and then let A
tell B to open, or you can tell B to open and let it set its own properties
(in a preOpenStack handler) before it appears. I don't know if one way is
better, cheaper on sys resources, quicker, etc. - I'm just doing a basic
brain dump here.

FWIW.
Phil

Scott Rossi wrote:

> Just so I have it straight, what is the best way to affect a stack before it
> is displayed?
>
> For example, if I want to set the decorations of a stack before it is
> opened, do I simply write
>
> set the decorations of stack xxx to empty
> topLevel stack xxx
>
> I'm asking because I'm used to the convention of opening something
> invisibly, setting its parameters and then showing it.  Using the above
> techniques have been a little inconsistent for me, perhaps because of an
> incomplete understanding of where stacks really reside when they are not
> displayed.
>
> Thanks for any advice,
>
> Scott

Phil Davis