On 18/2/00 11:07 pm, Scott Rossi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Just so I have it straight, what is the best way to affect a stack before it
> is displayed?
>
> For example, if I want to set the decorations of a stack before it is
> opened, do I simply write
>
> set the decorations of stack xxx to empty
> topLevel stack xxx

Thats perfectly workable.

> I'm asking because I'm used to the convention of opening something
> invisibly, setting its parameters and then showing it.  Using the above
> techniques have been a little inconsistent for me, perhaps because of an
> incomplete understanding of where stacks really reside when they are not
> displayed.

All subStacks inside a file are loaded when you load the stackFile.  You
don't have to open them to get and set properties.  Note that visible is a
stack property.  Open invisible is supported for backwards compatibility,
what it does is set the visible of the stack to false.  You have to set it
to true to see the stack again, the property is persistant.

The exception to this is when you have a mainStack with destroyStack set to
true.  Thats removed from memory when closed.

Regards,

Kevin

> Thanks for any advice,
>
> Scott

> Scott Rossi                       Tactile Media - Multimedia & Design
> Creative Director                 Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Web: www.tactilemedia.com

Kevin Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <http://www.xworlds.com/>
Cross Worlds Computing, MetaCard Distributors, Custom Development.
Tel: +44 (0)131 672 2909.  Fax: +44 (0)1639 830 707.

This is the MetaCard mailing list.