Scott Raney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said, on 7/4/00 10:11 AM:

>like any good OS, NT
>punishes processes when they seem to be sucking up CPU time for no
>good reason, something QT does a lot

I'm just curious, how does QT suck up CPU time for no good reason, and
how can the OS tell the difference between real work and makework? I'm
not being sarcastic, I'm just curious--presumably QT isn't issuing
endless strings of NOPs, so how could NT, or any OS, watch what QT, or
any program, was doing and say, "that program isn't doing anything
useful--it's just shuffling those same chunks of data back and forth
repeatedly. And that sort algorithm could have been written much more
efficiently; I'll punish it!"

Geoff "striving to learn more than his due about modern OSes" Canyon