At 12:09 PM +0200 7/31/00, Sjoerd Op 't Land wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>Version 1.0 of the educational software I'm making (Dutch spelling) is
>complete now, and I'm going to a publisher. Before, I've had a talk with a
>critical person who had critical questions about the software. Mostly, he
>had questions about MetaCard. Could you please help me, because the
>publisher may pose this questions also?
>
>1. What is MetaCard? Never heard of it, and now I have seen it, it looks
>like a macro language to me. I think it has too less possibilities for
>professional software, hasn't it?
>
>My opinion: MetaCard is a great Object Oriented tool in which you can
>program quite 'deep' things like working in the registry or writing to COM
>ports.
>My question: Are there examples of software made in MetaCard which were a
>success?
>
>2. In case that you have a accident, can someone else take over easily the
>development of the software? Is it possible to 'print' the program and it's
>cross references? How many MetaCard programmers are there (in the
>Netherlands)? Can he or she trust on support of the MetaCard company?
>
>My opinion: There are much HyperCard programmers in Holland, but...
>My question: Is there a printstack tool? Is there a list of MetaCard
>programmers over the world? How easy is it to jump from HyperCard to
>MetaCard?
>
>Thanks in advance for your answers,
>Sjoerd Op 't Land

I guess these are questions that occur to us all from time to time.
However much we know that Metacard is a powerful, flexible,
cross-platform, internet-capable programming environment and
compiler, convincing others of this is never easy.

Increasing the number of Metacard programmers would be a significant
way of achieving more credibility. I wonder if changing the way the
Starter Kit operates could increase the number of programmers.
Currently, it's ten-line script limit isn't the best way of showing
what Metacard is capable of. (Ironically, it probably develops bad
programming habits as people find workarounds to the limits.) Instead
of having a script limit, removing the ability to produce standalones
might be more effective. Would it be possible to have a "Starter Kit
mode" that required the presence of an open and visible home stack?
In this way, users could build full blown applications to
demonstrtate to clients/bosses/doubters what can be done, and
potential developers can develop their skills fully before buying a
license (or being bought one by their employer).

Just a thought.

Cheers
Dave Cragg