I've just begun my foray into PHP and mySQL...so far, I'm liking what I see.
I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I've been able to import data
from Excel into Access into mySQL and generate a query from an html
page and generate a .php3 results page just by gleaning info (and utilities)
from www.php.net. My host (jumpline.com) provides a admin front end to
mySQL (which works for some things well) and I can telnet in for the others.
I've picked up most of this in the course of a work day, so it HAS to be
fairly simple :-/

Brent