On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, David Bovill wrote:

> I want to be able to launch a stack directly from the file system, but with
> all the usual features of the development environment. I've filled in the
> Menubar field in the Stack Properties" dialog and copied the following
> script from the home stack:
>
>       send "preOpenStack" to card 1 of stack "MetaCard Menu Bar"
>

> I get the standard menus showing and available - however the script limits
> are not set. Is there a way to do this? I have looked through the tools
> stack scripts and home scripts, and can't find anything.
>
> My guess is that the engine looks for the custom properties in the "Home"
> stack and...
>
> Hmm, I'll try copying the custom properties, and report back.

That won't do it: the bits used to check the license are stored in a
way that is not accessible via scripts or object properties.
Furthermore, it'll only work right if the Home stack is the first
thing loaded because the engine has certain assumptions in it about
how things are loaded when you're doing development.  So the only
workaround for the current behavior is to write some scripts and use
an external tool such that it completely exits out of the current
session and restarts a session specifying both the Home stack and your
other stack on the command line (e.g. "mc mchome.mc yourstack.mc").
Not even sure if this is possible on the Mac.

Having starting up a stack from the desktop automatically open the
development environment is on the feature request list, but won't be
in the upcoming 2.3.2 release and I must admit still doesn't sound
like a "feature" to me.  What if whenever you started up an app
produced with Codewarrior or Visual Studio it started up that
development tool and opened its debugger if you happened to have one
of those tools installed on your system?  Could be pretty
inconvenient.  Or if you developed that Perl or shell script with
Emacs and every time you tried to run it started up Emacs for you?
Pretty bizarre.

This really gets back to the issue of "are stacks documents or
applications?" debate that has come up several times in various places
over the years.  My UNIX and CS background causes me to consider them
applications, whereas people with a less technical background tend to
consider them documents.  Not sure where to draw the line on this
one: Abide by user expectations, or force them to adapt to a more
technically sophisticated architecture?
  Regards,
    Scott