At 10:27 AM +0100 9/24/00, Hugh Senior wrote:
>Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. Using sendMail.mc without
>self-configured SMTP preferences is, I fear, going to cause the potential
>users too much confusion. I therefore revert to Plan B and, as suggested,
>use a <mailto:> as the next best alternative.
>
>Plan is to:
>[1] store a generic myEmailWindow.htm as a userProperty
>[2] replace eMailVar on the fly in <A HREF" mailto:eMailVar">eMailVar</A>
>[3] put it into url(file:"&tPath)
>[4] use EXT.dll to launch file tPath
>[5] on quit, delete file tPath
>
>For elegance, the eMailWindow opens at a fixed size without distractions:
>
><A HREF="" onClick='msgWindow=window.open
>("myEmailWindow.htm","displayWindow","toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,
>status=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable=no,width=245,height=175");
>return false'> Click here to send an eMail</A>
>
>So a simple question...
>
>How do we include window display parameters in the myEmailWindow.htm and
>thus avoid requiring a host window to launch it from? Is it possible?
>
>/H

Hi Hugh

I'm not quite sure what you're attempting here. Will this solution
open the user's e-mail program, and then require the user to manually
send the mail? Or is it more automatic than that.

If the former, then you can get the user's e-mail program opened and
set up more directly using the shell command on Windows.

The basic shell command is "start mailto:". You would set it up
something like this:

set the hideConsoleWindows to true
if "NT" is in the systemVersion then set the shellCommand to "cmd.exe"
put "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" into tAddress
put quote & "my Subject" & quote into tSubject
put quote & "Hello." & quote into tBody
put "start mailto:" & tAddress & "?subject=" & tSubject & "?body=" &
tBody into tCom
get shell(tCom)

This should start the user's e-mail program with the to and subject
fields filled out. With luck, the message body will also be filled
out, but I think not all e-mailers handle that parameter.

To work, it requires the user to have set the default e-mail program
in the internet control panel. I guess you'll have to figure out the
results from get shell to put up an appropriate message if this
hasn't been set and the command fails. (My memory tells me that
something is always returned in the result for this command, so
relying on empty may not work.)

Apologies if I'm off track here.

Cheers
Dave Cragg