On Sunday, November 28, 2021 at 1:23:01 PM UTC-5 Benoit wrote:

> Jim: indeed, maybe versions related to Mario's algorithm for the deduction
> theorem should all be labeled xxxd, whether they have zero or more
> hypotheses.

I agree with this, and I think we should change ~conventions to say  "zero
or more $e hypotheses" as Jim suggested. Using a 'd' suffix for a1i applied
to a theorem has been a defacto convention for a long time and in many
places, they are frequently used in Mario-style deductions, and I think
people are used to it.

> But the suffix "d" is still overloaded: in my previous post and its
> correction, I gave two incompatible conventions of xxxd which are used in
> set.mm (e.g., mpd for the first and a1d for the second).  But then, both
> a1d and bj-a1k could pretend to be "the deduction associated with ax-1".
> Similarly for mpd versus mp1i with respect to ax-mp.  Why in one case
> choose one convention and in another the other convention ?  For clarity,
> the two versions of "associated deduction" could be better distinguished,
> both by terminology and by systematic suffixing of a label.

 I think this kind of conflict is very rare. The only one I could find with
a quick search is a1d vs. bj-a1k.

a1d follows the pattern of adding an antecedent to the hypothesis and
conclusion of the corresponding a1i. The "a1" comes from the name of the
inference form. A 0-hypothesis *d doesn't have a corresponding inference
form, so we usually take the original theorem name and append a "d" suffix,
e.g. fvex -> fvexd; following this pattern, bj-a1k would be named ax-1d,
but since we reserve "ax-" for axioms, it could be called ax1d.

I don't see a conflict with mpd vs. mp1i. The first hypothesis of mp1i
doesn't have a "ph" antecendent, so it doesn't qualify as a "pure"
deduction form.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean.

BTW many deductions such as alimd have the hypothesis "|- F/ x ph" where ph
is the common antecedent, but this is equivalent to "|- ( ph -> F/ x ph )"
by nf5di. So we could say it still qualifies as a "pure" deduction form
where we use "|- F/ x ph" rather than "|- ( ph -> F/ x ph )" for brevity.

Norm