Hello all,

On a quiet snowy night here in Pennsylvania I had a thought about "classic"
meteorites. My first question was...what is a classic meteorite? Lots of
answers I'm sure to that...but I came up with my own simple set of Rules.

Popular, nice material, in lots of collections, stays in good condition, rich
history, can be acquired if desired, should stay a favorite, etc.

Here is my own list and ranking.

Top 10 Classic Meteorites

1.      Sikhote-Alin:  an iron from a Russian fall in 1947
2.      Canyon Diablo: an iron found near Meteor Crater, USA
3.      Allende: a carbonaceous chondrite fall in Mexico in 1969
4.      Gibeon: an iron found in Africa
5.      Gao: a stone from a 1960 fall in Burkino Faso
6.      Murchison: an awesome carbonaceous fall in Australia in 1969
7.      Esquel: a pallasite type stony-iron found in South America
8.      Zagami: a 1962 Martian fall in Nigeria, Africa
9.      Henbury: an iron found in Australia
10.     Vaca Muerta: a mesosiderite type stony-iron found in South America

Try your own list on us...  putting Gao at #5 is probably too high with my
list.

John