Sent: Saturday, February 21, 2009 8:42 PM
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Meteorite Finding Dog in West Texas

Hi Rubin and all,

One hundred and fifty years ago, a stone fell in Bethlehem, New York on August 11 that also involved a meteorite finding dog, apparently not as well trained as the West, Texas dog. C.U. Shepard wrote:

“Mr. Vanderpool was at work near his house, and heard the explosion in common with other members of his family. About two minutes after, as it appeared to him, a stone, coming in an oblique course, struck the side of a wagon house, glanced off, hit a log upon the ground, bounded again, and rolled into the grass. A dog lying in the doorway of the wagon house sprang up, darted out and seized it, but dropped it immediately, probably on account of its warmth and sulphurous small.”

And of course there's the story about the dog that found the Lost City meteorite in January, 1970. Must have been too heavy to carry so he just "marked it", probably so he could find it again. ;-)

Cheers,

Frank