I vary in my bidding methods, depending on the current bid, how many people are
bidding, how much I want the item...  People snipe so that they have the best
chance of getting the item for as cheaply as possible.  Usually I bid my
maximum as late as possible; if I can, manually sniping in the last few
seconds.  This puts my bid in late enough so that others can't 'top' it or
raise it and make me pay more.  I may put in an absentee bid early on if I know
I won't be online when the auction is closing.  I don't always win my item, but
often enough I do, and for less than I was willing to pay, that it works for me.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it. ;)

Best!
Tracy Latimer