All,

I fear this thread may be counter-productive for any that are just getting
started in the search for meteorites.  The glacier angle is, in this case, thin
ice.  First, Antarctica is a very special case:  in general glacial moraines
are
an absolutely horrible place to look.  I'm with Mike.  If you've got genuine
meteorites, they probably have nothing at all to do with the moraine deposits.
Second, I'm also with Anne: the starting place here is to confirm the ID.  This
is one of those stories with "to good to be true" overtones.

But back to moraines. As a lifelong exploration geologist, I spent many years
living on the terminal moraines and outwash gravels of the Cordilleran ice
sheet
(in NE WA).  Moraines are vast accumulations of rock, precisely what a
meteorite
hunter doesn't want.  Nininger's pioneering success in the recovery of
meteorites was a direct result of going places where there shouldn't be any
rocks. The sand seas of the Sahara, same thing.  The dry lakebeds of the Great
Basin continue that tradition.  And so does Antarctica.

The latter, of course, is where the confusion arises.  Glaciers are part of the
story for the Antarctic meteorites, but only part.  Starting at the simple end,
Antarctica is a vast expanse of white and blue where the nearest bedrock is
often 3000 m straight down.  Rocks are easy to spot, and most that are there
fell from the sky.  On a snowmobile you can cover a lot of ground fast and not
miss much.  The driest air on earth (much dryer than that of hot deserts) adds
to the story by lengthening meteorite shelf-life.  Then there are the glaciers.

Mainly, the ice flows to the coast and the meteorites sail away in their ice
rafts until they are dumped unceremoniously into the depths of the ocean.
However, where the flowing ice encounters mountains, like the Transantarctic
range, it stalls, to be slowly eaten away by katabatic winds descending from
the
high country.  More ice flows in to replace that lost, and with time, all of
the
entrained rocks accumulate in a relatively compact stranding zone.

The terminal moraines of the North American ice sheets were quite different.
They flowed into warmer climes, melted, thinned and dumped their contents like
dirty plowed snowpiles in the spring.  They advanced and retreated.  Meltwaters
reworked the lot.  The ice was both a bulldozer and upside-down conveyor belt.
Certainly, meteorites fell onto the surface of the ice, as they do on all the
world, but in this case the glaciers provided vast dilution, not concentration.

Of course you could find a meteorite in glacial deposits, but the dilution
effects make the search much more difficult.

So advice to would-be searchers: by all means do search wherever you can, but
if
you want to increase your odds of success, don't head for the moraines of the
great continental ice sheets.  Further, you don't need to run out and buy a
metal detector, expensive or otherwise. Life is too short to do that anywhere
but a strewn field. You need to cover ground to up the odds.  Go where there
are
no rocks and use your eyes, by far the best tool available for routine cold
searches

Cheers,
Norm (still on the far side of the globe)
www.tektitesource.com