My next step would be to put some print statements inside your templatetag
to try to figure out what if anything is being returned.

Side note, I would highly recommend moving the templatetags to your own
app.  It's not a very good idea to modify Mezzanine directly because if you
ever upgrade Mezzanine your modifications will disappear.