I want the admin user to be able to add arbitrary 'height' and 'width'
values to product variations (the products are artworks with originals and
prints as variations). Currently, users can add specific 'height' and
'width' values as options in the 'create new variations' fieldset. This
would be fine if the set of values were limited (e.g. to 'small', 'medium',
'large') but because the values are arbitrary, adding a new product option
for each new 'height' or 'width' value is unwieldy. Instead, it would make
more sense if these values were added after creating the variation (i.e. in
the same way that the 'number in stock' and 'unit price' are set).

I've looked through shop.models.py and shop.admin.py but can't see where or
how it might be possible to add extra fields to the variations other than
the standard approach of using product options, which is not really
suitable if I want to allow arbitrary values instead of a set of checkboxes.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I might best approach this?