Tantek Çelik wrote:
But discussions of extending URL/URI semantics for addressing bits of
information?  I'm not sure that actually has much bearing on parsing
microformats.  But like I said, perhaps I am missing something.

I don't know if my interpretation brings this on topic or just clarifies (or confuses…) but the problem as I understand it, is exemplified like so:

I have a page listing 12 events using hCalendar. None of the hevent nodes have an ID and therefore cannot be referenced through fragments. However, I want to pass one of these events to a web service (say a Technorati pipe to generate an ICS file for the specific event). There's no way to do that.

Same thing with a page containing multiple hCards.

However, I honestly think that this problem is best solved by emphasising the need/benefit of putting IDs on vcard/vevent nodes, rather than inventing/adopting something more complex. Personally, I wouldn't think it unreasonable to have 'microformats must have an ID' as part of each spec.

I don't think we should overcomplicate the issue with talk of technology like XPointer or Selectors which are unimplemented in the areas needed to 'fix' this.

Ben