Scott Reynen wrote:

On Feb 20, 2007, at 6:56 PM, John Panzer wrote:

Scott Reynen wrote:

  Here's the purpose of UID from vCard:

To specify a value that represents a globally unique
identifier corresponding to the individual or resource associated
with the vCard.

So if two hCards have the same UID, they must refer to the same person, because otherwise it wouldn't be globally unique. And I think that solves the problem Thom described above, unless I'm missing why it needs to be specific to OpenID.

Nope, it solves it.  OpenID URLs are just one example.

I'm thinking here of cases where the target may be an OpenID, but not necessarily provide an hCard.

UIDs do not need to point to hCards. Nor do they need to be OpenIDs. They can do both, but the only requirement is that they be globally unique and correspond to the subject of the hCard. And that minimal requirement seems to be just enough to solve this problem without worrying about what, if anything, is on the other end of the UID.

Thanks. (The thread in the archives was somewhat twisty; the summary is helpful.) So, rel="url uid" it is.

I think this solves the problem of how to match one hCard up with another using a convenient unique key well above the 80% level.

One minor point: URLs are unique but not truly persistent. Due to URL reuse,when trawling through archives you can't assume that UID1 == UID2 means person 1 == person 2 unless both UIDs were minted at the same time. I'd probably solve this heuristically if ever necessary, but: Is it worth an implementor's warning somewhere?

Interestingly, the vcard people seemingly dealt with this issue, because they edited [1] "persistent, globally unique identifier" prior to the final RFC draft.

-John Panzer
[1] http://www.imc.org/pdi/vcard-21.txt