On May 3, 2007, at 12:23 PM, Tantek Çelik wrote:

and is not apparent to human readers

To be clear, this clause, in the absolute, is undesirable. That is, in following the principles of microformats, the date needs to be at least
somewhat *visible* to humans, rather than invisible.

I think it's important to be clear about this and I find "the date needs to be at least somewhat *visible* to humans" still very ambiguous, as the responses so far seem to suggest. *Which* date are you talking about? The human-readable date obviously needs to be human-readable, but are you including the machine-readable date here? If so, which microformats principle suggests this? Designing for humans first suggests to me that we should give humans human- readable dates and keep the machine-readable dates for machines. I think this is what human readers generally prefer, and it must be what human publishers prefer, or we wouldn't have any need for the abbr design pattern in the first place.

Peace,
Scott