I almost completely disagree with this. If people are actually *using* Microformats as intended, there will be plenty of times when the machine data will pass in front of the user (in their calendar program for example) for verification. I do however, agree with the following.

expressed in as little-encoded form as can be gotten away with.

I concur, but what is in dispute here is what "can be gotten away with." The abbr-design-pattern has failed for machine data.

Copied the entire email below for context. Tantek, if you post this to the wiki, please note it as opinion and give a link to the thread. Marking this as fact would misrepresent the views of the Microformats group as a whole.