Keith Alexander wrote:

I think POSH is useful as a
conceptual tool for reifying the definition of microformats:

POSH Patterns: semantic practices resulting in meaningful markup
Microformats: HTML-based data formats

I think (at least) 3 distinctions need to be made:

- 'vanilla' semantic HTML (using non-presentational html markup appropriate to the content it describes) - HTML-based data formats (actually, this is what I was looking for a term for when I suggested 'POSH') - Microformats (HTML data formats that have gone through the Microformats Process - a canon of html data formats )

Relating this discussion to real world problems we're trying to solve for a second, there may be a wider context: In Nov, 2005 I was trying to search for office space in Bristol, UK and getting garbage from search results. The problem was the legacy gap left between non semantic markup, bad labeling and machines. The gap had been filled with noise from pseudo-aggregation sites, paid directories and other "Web marketing" services -- a problem faced by anyone trying to use Web searches to extract up to date, usable aggregated data from poorly marked-up Web sites. That problem still persists.

At the time, my experience threw up some thoughts (and a rather verbose article[1]) on semantics and specifically what I called semantic information design ethics, shortened to "SIDE" for brevity. I see POSH and microformats as unique but connected components of a solution to free data from Web pages and allow it to be aggregated, discovered and reused.

If POSH is concerned with HTML-based data formats, or if semantic markup initiatives generally would seek to contribute to a solution for this current and real world problem then a further requirement has to be meaningful use of language in the document. I.e. Not only appropriate markup, but meaningful text itself to allows machines to recognise the page has a place in a matrix of aggregated data for a given search term. (This also applies to gateway pages on sites to proprietary datasets.)

FWIW, I still talk to businesses and individuals who's legacy sites don't even have descriptive page titles or n'er a <h> tag in sight. In ignorance they are considering buying some SEO or Web marketing activity to compensate. It may seem a little simplistic from the lofty heights of semantic enlightenment, but there are a huge number of less-enlightened colleagues and their clients who would benefit from an initiative in this area -- not to mention the browsing public.

A simple checklist of changes (including POSH) that they could make today to their markup, use of language etc could have significant benefits for everyone and make inroads to solving this real world problem. Being cynical, the bottom-line benefits for are obvious should be motivation enough for 90% of sites. More fundamental uF, IA, UI and accessibility checkpoints could also be included that they could work towards.

At the moment, without including the wider context for POSH or specifying real-world benefits for implementers POSH seems on the road to just another geeky acronym that's (almost) cool for those in the know. Outreach is critical and, "features, benefits /and/ incentives" need to be specified to do that.

Apologies for the lengthy reply. Thanks,
Jon Tan

[1] http://gr0w.com/articles/design/an_extra_side_to_web_standards_based_design/