This idea is really good, the best possible I think.

If there is a need for interaction on a website then the options are limited to the browser UI and the script languages available, right? And this way you're suggesting the user will have the possibility of adding their own interaction with javascript and the user will have a fallback on the browser UI.

This way there are the fewest possible restrictions for the designers letting them choose themselves how they would like to solve this problem.

The functionality you previosuly suggested can for example easily be added by a third party javascript to make it easier for non javascript gurus to add actions to their sites, but that should really be the job of such javascripts like it's javascripts like Lightbox job to show galleries in a fashionable way. The question about any class names would also be up to such javascripts.

/ Pelle W

Alex Faaborg wrote:
Perhaps instead of new classes and protocols, we could just do this completely in javascript. Here is a general example, probably all the function names would end up being different:

,
,
  <script type="text/javascript">
     if (navigator.microformatAware("hCard")){
document.write("<a href='#' onclick='navigator.sendToAddressBook('hcard-Alex-Faaborg')'>Add to Address Book</a>");
      document.write(", ")
document.write("<a href='#' onclick='navigator.sendToMap('hcard-Alex-Faaborg')'>Send to Map</a>");
      }
  </script>
It seems you'll still need a way for the browser to inject UI for actions the content creator didn't foresee.
We can include these actions on context menus, and in the browser UI (similar to Operator's interface). However, I'm not sure content creators would be too happy with Firefox modifying their pages by literally injecting UI.

-Alex