I received some good feedback from delicious about why rel-tag isn't being
used.  One point that was made is that rel-tag only describes the page it's on,
not a particular link or other external content...and unfortunately the wiki
doc echoes the concern

http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-tag
rel="tag" is NOT designed for "tagging" arbitrary URLs or external
content. There is demand for a general decentralized syntax for tagging
URLs external to the current page, but this is not meant for that. See xFolk
and hReview for ways to tag arbitrary URLs.

But if we go and read xFolk or hReview to discover the "general decentralized
syntax for tagging", we are presented with rel-tag:

http://microformats.org/wiki/hreview
"tags:: Tags are represented using a list of keywords or phrases (using the
rel-tag microformat for each individual keyword or phrase tag) that the
reviewer associates with the item."

I'd have said "rel-tag modifies the page it's on or the nearest microformatted
content parent that supports tags (hReview, xFolk, hfeed, hentry), whichever
comes first".  The advantage being that verbiage like that can be translated
into parsing without too much thought.

Taylor