Andy Mabbett wrote:
In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Manu Sporny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

If you really want to make the distinction between a publisher, a drummer, a singer, a technician, and someone else, you can always use an hCard and utilize the "role" property

That presumes that the roles are exposed in the page; they may be if or, say a producer, but often using the verb ("produced by..."), and frequently are not, We don't need to say that Beethoven is a composer, when saying "Beethoven's fifth". That's clear to a human (well, mist humans of any western education!) from context; but not to a machine.

Before anyone cries "hidden metadata", how often to we explicitly say that "Mabbett" is my family name?, or that "21 High street" is a street address?

I agree with others that these are edge cases for microformats.

I don't think you are correct when you say that only a human can infer Beethoven--(composerOf)-->fifth, from "Beethoven's fifth". As far as I've seen in other more lucrative domains than music, a well-trained semantic software extractor working off sufficient content, plain old grammatically-correct english and music metadata would do that job with less sweat than an editor will take to write the content and mark it up in hAudio or something else (not to say to come up with the markup that works in these edge cases in the first place). Grammatically-correct english IS semantic markup, in a way.

I think microformats' sweet spot is easing semantic extraction in cases where the level of structure is high, and the plain english context is low. The back of an album that lists tracks is such a case, its entry in Gracenote, a list of friends, electronic business cards, etc. are good examples as well. A plain english critics' review of an album on the other hand with lots of context, but little structure is a case that is economically much better handled using semantic analysis than with "$1M markup".

I'm not saying that microformats should not try to make formats that work with plain old English or natural language (I've been trying myself), I'm just saying that we may consider the fact that the ROI will most likely be low and other technologies will compete better there, so we might just focus our time on where we have the biggest chance of straightforward adoption, then only look at solving the plain english cases, instead of trying to solve everything at once.

Guillaume