On Jun 29, 2008, at 15:18, Frances Berriman wrote:

The BBC can't use HTML5.  It won't validate,

HTML5 validates (in the present tense) at http://html5.validator.nu/

Moreover, if validation causes you to emit user experience-degrading markup in violation if the intended language semantics*, validation isn't helping but hurting you.

(* Let's be honest: abbr wasn't designed to expand "one hour ago" to an ISO date with a crufty "T" separator and time zone designators and all.)

it doesn't adhere to their standards and guidelines or

If they are willing to consider amending their guidelines to allow RDFa, which is also invalid HTML 4.01/XHTML 1.0/XHTML 1.1, surely they *could* choose to amend their own guidelines to allow <time>.

their browser support levels.

I thought the point was that they don't want the markup for microformat datetimes to be UI-sensitive in legacy browsers (or browser +AT combinations).

A core principle of microformats is that they should work with the
technologies available and in use *now* (HTML5 isn't widely supported
and isn't even a w3c recommendation yet).

Wouldn't it make sense, though, to specify that <time> be supported as an alternative to <abbr> in hCalendar datetimes, so that when the community becomes comfortable with publishing HTML5 content, the installed base of parsers would already be there?