On [Jul 14], at [ Jul 14] 5:57 , John Allsopp wrote:

I recently learnt that in Japan there are two year numbering systems. The western style one is more common, but it far from uncommon to use the traditional Japanese year numbering system as well.

Do you have any examples of the non-Gregorian dates being published online? Or any examples of applications that can take non-Gregorian dates as input?

I think we've established non-Gregorian calendars exist, but most countries officially adopted the Gregorian calendar several decades before the web existed (e.g. Japan in 1873). Such adoption wasn't exclusive, but it draws into question (for me anyway) whether such calendars are common enough on the web and have enough potential use cases to warrant modeling in microformats. I realize it's difficult to do such research without belonging to the cultures in which it would appear. Unfortunately that just makes it more necessary to avoid mistakes.

Peace,
Scott