For the purposes of illustration, say I'm writing an article entitled "Music in the Digital Age" discussing how the Internet has changed modern music. I may wish to write that:

    released their recent album
    rel="license">Creative Commons license</a>

Now, an hAudio parser (of which there are few) will interpret this as meaning that the Nine Inch Nails' album is released under that licence.

But a general rel=license parser (of which there are many, including Yahoo! (cc) Search, Google Usage Rights Search, and absolutely any RDFa parser) will interpret this as meaning that the whole page is available under that licence, which may not be the case.

With rel-tag, the scoping issue is of less importance. If I want to tag, say, a particular hCard with a tag of "Tennis" because that person is a tennis player, it is not too unreasonable if the whole page is interpreted as being tagged "Tennis" - after all, the page does mention a tennis player, so does have an (albeit perhaps minor) topic of "Tennis".

With rel-license scoping has potentially major legal ramifications. Essentially it means that any rel=license link found needs to be manually checked to determine exactly what the licence applies to. And if one needs to manually inspect a page to determine its licence, then rel=license is adding no value.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>