Answering several messages in one...

Martin McEvoy wrote:

In Microformats this means that if a propery is used more than 80% of
the time then it should be included in the format, this will result in
the top 20% of all discovered properties making their way into the final
Microformat.

Well, that's mathematical nonsense. Say we have 100 examples, each of which have (on average) five properties, but many of these properties are unique, such that overall there are 300 properties discovered. Say also that only three of these properties are common enough to have been found in more than 80% of the examples. This means that you're saying that if the three properties that are used more than 80% of the time are included in the format, this will result in the top 20% of all discovered properties making their way into the microformat. Thus 20% of 300 is 3, right?

The Pareto Principle states that 80% of the effects emerge from 20% of the causes. So if there are N potential properties that can be included in the format, we can get 80% of the potential benefit by including the best N/5 of the properties.

Also, regarding use of "description" to include factual information about a recording:

Indeed it is useful but can you cite any real life examples of this,
where factual information can be read about an individual peice of
audio?, I am not saying they dont exist, I would just like to establish
the exact source of your problem.

Examples include the "Product details" section on Amazon; or a summary of chart performance (such as what Wikipedia often includes for albums and singles).

No it wouldn't but then again I have never seen markup like the above
before, is it a review, a listing a blog post?  I cant solve
hypothetical issues.

The example was intended as a simplification, but are you honestly saying you've never seen a description of an album where individual tracks are mentioned in prose, mid-paragraph? Wikipedia, blogs, discussion forums and so on are riddled with examples. In any such cases, "item" is needed to enable marking up of the tracks within the album without resorting to list markup. (Forcing the use of list markup would not be paving cowpaths.)

<a rel="enclosure" href="my-foo-file" type="application/x-foo">Foo</a>
I would just like to make type more explicit in the hAudio format itself.

The content type should certainly be made explicit when known, but making it a class name is a mistake - the type attribute should be used as above. Making it into a class takes it away from the link, so you end up with stuff like this, which is meaningless:

          <a rel="enclosure" href="foo1">download 1</a>
          <a rel="enclosure" href="foo2">download 2</a>

Which is the ogg file? hAudio should use the "type" attribute on the link - it is outside microformats principles to invent ersatz markup patterns for semantics that already exist in HTML.

making
album a required property seems extremely restrictive to me I don't
understand the logic behind it at all.

I don't think anyone has suggested making album required. The current draft says that all hAudio instances *must* contain at "fn" *or* "album". That is, "album" is optional when "fn" is present, and "fn" is optional when "album" is present.

 I had to look at the early implementers of haudio
and see how they were using  Item, No One currently is using Item

The following use "item"...

The official website of Adele, a singer/songwriter who reached #1 in the UK album chart earlier this year:
http://adele.tv/music

A review of an album I put together earlier:
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2008/03/28/saturday-nights/

Some example uses of hAudio - contrived admittedly, but not too far away from the kind of stuff that gets published every day on blogs/ wikis/etc:
http://buzzword.org.uk/2008/audio/uf
http://weborganics.co.uk/haudio-rss/

A playlist on a blog:
http://openmediaweb.org/index.php/2008/01/13/publishing-my-workout- music-in-haudio/

The last of these seems to be having server problems right now, but the source code can be verified at archive.org. There are probably others too. (I wish there were a search engine that allowed you to search by grepping through HTML source!)

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>