Apologies for the perhaps trivial question

Basically, I am working on Windows 10 and I need to keep the files which I
create, e.g. via \newwrite or \newoutputstream of package newfile

By default, these files used to be stored in the same folder as the main .tex
file

Currently, they seem stored in a temporary folder, which is automatically and
quickly deleted at the end of the compilation, e.g.

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\mik85410\_src

Can I configure MiKTeX to revert to the expected behaviour or are there
alternate ways to ensure that these files are not deleted?

Interestingly, everything is as expected, if I compile directly from the
command-line, i.e. using texify --pdf

Any suggestion would be much appreciated

Thanks

Radu