On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 at 18:18, Virgil Stokes <v...@it.uu.se> wrote:

> A better question I hope :-P

If you select the "Settings" panel and then the "Directories" tab, you
should see a link "Which is the best directory to keep my .sty files?"
This link shows you how to create the TDS structure for a LaTeX class.
You need to do this is a location outside the MiKTeX package directories.

> Note, I had no problem with handling this with a previous (older) version
> of MikTeX with a different console.

At one time it may have been possible to add a file to one of the MiKTeX
directories, but it has always been
recommended that user files go in a new TDS tree outside the MiKTeX
directories.

--
George N. White III